Design 950 and 993 Winter 2005

Finished state: Canine Lameness Learning Module
Finished state: Quiz on ACCAD site
Finished state: Survey on ACCAD site

Finished and Active: Canine Lameness Learning Module Web CT site with a link to the LO, WebCT quiz, and WebCT surveys. Note: you are listed as a co-designer so you can log into this to view.

Tasks done this quarter:

  1. Since last quarter, I cleaned 5 more mocap files within Motion Builder at ACCAD in order to come up with unknowns (never been seen before) motion capture animations for the quiz. This included cleaning marker data and reconstructing it during gaps via hand keyframing.
  2. The above files were then imported into Maya. Some were so difficult to fill gaps in Motion Builder, that I did more hand keyframing of markers in Maya.
  3. The above cleaned files were rigged and rendered in Maya. Individual skeletons were built for each file. Lights had to be set up after rigging and before rendering within the scenes.
  4. The rendered images were then imported into Premiere to make the videos, compressed in Sorenson Squeeze, then imported into Flash and exported as .swf.
  5. These swf files were linked to from within html pages created in Macromedia Dreamweaver for the quiz.
  6. I video taped 4 more dogs at the Veterinary Teaching Hospital in order to come up with unknown video examples for the quiz.
  7. The video was edited in Premiere Pro 7, Exported as .mov from Premiere 6, compressed in Sorenson Squeeze, imported into Flash as .flv and then exported as .swf.
  8. The swf videos were embedded in html files created in Dreamweaver for the quiz.
  9. The quiz and survey were edited over and over again for the ACCAD site and recreated for the Web CT site also.
  10. I met with Jon early in the quarter and went over the text I wrote. He edited some of it. I had to retype much of it within the Flash movie and re-export it.
  11. Once the text was set, I recorded myself narrating it on mini DV. I captured the audio in Premiere and exported the narrations for ~65 scenes.
  12. I had to run the exported audio uncompressed .wav files through a compressor called "Switch" to convert to .mp3.
  13. I then had to go into the main Flash movie and write the actionscript to load the appropriate narration for each scene when the user clicks on the narration/sound button. (This took some figuring out.) I wrote actionscript for the user to turn the narration off with a mute button for each scene also. Importing all of the narrations into the main movie would have caused the file size of the final .swf to be way too big and load way too slow over the internet. Below is a sample of the actionscript from one of the scenes:

    song = new Sound ();
    song.attachSound("HD_S_M_S.mp3");
    _root.playButton.onRelease = function (){
    song.loadSound("HD_S_M_S.mp3", true);
    };
    _root.stopButton.onRelease = function (){
    song.stop ();
    };

  14. I rewrote my request for exemption from review by the IRB Form. Turned it in and was granted exemption.
  15. The quiz and survey were then activated in WebCT on March 1st.
  16. I burned over 300 CD-ROMs with the Canine Lameness Learning Module on them. The CD would auto start upon insertion into a drive. A file called "start_here.htm" would open automatically with links to the Canine Lameness Learning Module, the quiz and survey on the ACCAD site, and links to log-in to WebCT. These CDs were burned individually on my single CD burner. It took about 2 weeks. I designed a label and printed over 300 of these, and applied them to all of the CDs. The CDs were put in the mailboxes of the junior and senior level veterinary medical students. 12 copies of the CD were placed in Jon's mailbox so that he could give them to pariticular students. I printed over 300 copies of a letter that was put in the mailboxes with the CD.
  17. I've been checking my email for submissions from the ACCAD quiz and survey. I have a couple, not enough. Last I checked on the WebCT site, no one had completed the quiz or survey.
  18. When I was coming up with unknowns for the quiz, I experimented with retargeting motion capture data from one dog to another dog's skeleton with different proportions. I tried it first using Maya 5 at home, with constraints. I point and orient constrained corresponding joints. It didn't work. So, I decided to try the new retargeting tool built into Maya 6. I spent a lot of time naming joints to match and then having to add labels to them within Maya 6 when I got to ACCAD. Ultimately it did not work. I believe it would have worked with a biped skeleton, because the results looked like the dog stood up on its hind legs. The retargeted skeleton looked very mangled. See a screen capture of the standing dog. See the movie of the retargeting as .swf embedded in html file. The same movie can be seen as an .avi.
  19. I had some trouble coming up with an unknown for the cranial cruciate ligament rupture. The original unknown that I cleaned in Motion Builder for this, did not show much evidence of having CCL damage. I used the motion capture data from the most lame dogs in the Learning Module. So, my unknowns are more subtle examples of lameness. Thus, they will be difficult to identify in the quiz. I swapped out the CCLR unknown in the quiz 3 times before I settled on a file that would be good enough for the quiz.

Home